Media Relations Specialist
Posted Sunday, October 10, 2021
Virginia Military Institute invites applications for a Media Relations Specialist position in the Communications and Marketing Department.
The incumbent, individually or as a member of a team, plans and researches stories, builds relationships, and gains positive news coverage in support of Institute goals and initiatives. This individual will cultivate story ideas, conduct interviews, pitch stories to the news media, copyedit, and attend Institute events in support of these goals. Duties are performed under the direction of the Assistant Director of News and Editorial Services.
1. Garner positive news coverage through media pitching of Institute stories.
2. Assist with planning, development and implementation of media outreach strategies and initiatives.
3. Build relationship with local news outlets and reporters to raise positive awareness of VMI news, people, and programs.
4. Develop regularly updated lists of key news media personnel who cover issues important to VMI.
5. Proactively seek, research, and develop strong story/content ideas by developing strong contacts throughout post.
6. Identify trending news topics in which VMI experts can be pitched for inclusion in local, regional, and national stories.
7. Write Institute announcements and news releases supporting events, cadet and faculty activities and accomplishments, and Institute milestones.
8. Contribute content to VMI’s Institute Report and other publications. Assist with copyediting as needed.
9. Other duties, as assigned, including support in videography and multimedia.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- AP style.
- Demonstrate experience in developing story ideas, media strategies, and/or publication planning.
- Interviewing sources, writing news articles and news releases, and fact checking details.
- Identifying the potential for and creating products that tell a unified story using a variety of delivery platforms.
- Experience with Cision Media Intelligence software preferred but not required.
- Experience with videography and multimedia preferred but not required.
Candidates, please apply online at: Media Relations Specialist Job Application
Please include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references, in addition to the online application.
Position will remain open until filled.
This position is required to be performed on-site.
All VMI employees are required to complete a COVID-19 Vaccination Status form upon hire, per Governor Northam’s Executive Directive #18. The Human Resources Office will supply the form.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.