Department Head in Computer and Information Sciences (CIS) - Tenure Track
Posted Thursday, October 14, 2021
The Department of Computer and Information Sciences (CIS) at the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) invites applications for the position of Department Head at the associate or full-professor level (tenure-track) beginning August 2022.
As a member of the Teaching and Research Faculty, the successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses at both at the introductory and advanced levels and establish a research program in which undergraduates are actively involved.
As the Department Head, reporting directly to the Deputy Superintendent for Academics and Dean of Faculty, the successful candidate will lead the department by:
- seeking and screening applicants for appointments to the faculty of the department;
- developing and evaluating faculty;
- recommending tenure and promotion;
- maintaining a healthy organizational climate;
- representing the department on the Academic Board (i.e., the governing body of the academic program);
- managing departmental assessment, planning, and programming, including evolution of the curriculum;
- budgeting and administrative actions, including all financial transactions initiated within the department.
The department head appointment is for an indefinite term, subject to review at five-year intervals. It includes an administrative salary supplement and a 3-hour course release each semester.
CIS at VMI is a part of the Department of Defense Cyber Institute Program, along with the other Senior Military Colleges. The department has state-of-the-art laboratories and emphasizes teaching excellence, experiential learning, and undergraduate research. We are embarking on an era of exceptional growth as cyber studies are being recognized as pivotal to all disciplines and vital to all aspects of modern societies, including critical infrastructures, scientific computing, big-data analytics and social computing, mobile and location-based services in healthcare, and transportation.
The CIS department currently offers the B.S. degree in Computer Science, delivered through a dynamic applied curriculum that is anchored in cyber security, interactive computing, intelligent systems, and computational data science and engineering. The new Department Head will lead an ongoing initiative to seek ABET accreditation.
- Ph.D. in computer science, or a related field;
- Demonstrated record of teaching, mentoring, and research excellence at the academic rank of associate professor or higher;
- Demonstrated record of administrative, personnel management, and leadership experience.
- Experience as an academic department head/chair;
- Candidate at the academic rank of professor;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a young and growing department/faculty;
- Ability to articulate a vision for a CS undergraduate degree program, to establish priorities, and to allocate resources;
- Experience with program assessment or accreditation/re-accreditation processes, especially ABET;
- Experience in a National Security Agency Academic Center of Excellence.
VMI is a state-supported coeducational undergraduate military college of 1600+ students, with a strong commitment to produce the next generation of leaders in the sciences, engineering, humanities, and social sciences. VMI is located in Lexington, VA, which is a beautiful historic town in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. Washington and Lee University is located adjacent to VMI. The area is well-known for its educational, cultural, and natural amenities. Faculty wear military uniforms but prior military service is not required.
Applicants should be submitted online at: Department Head in Computer and Information Sciences (CIS) - Tenure Track Job Application
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vita, names of at least three references, copies of transcripts, a statement of teaching, a statement of research, and a statement describing your experience with/vision for leading diverse groups of faculty and students.. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The position is open until filled.
Criminal background check required for final candidate.
All VMI employees are required to complete a COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form upon hire, per Governor Northam’s Executive Directive #18. The Human Resources Office will supply the form.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.