Officer-in-Charge / Tactical Officer
Posted Wednesday, June 29, 2022
Virginia Military Institute is seeking qualified applicants for four full-time Officer-in-Charge / Tactical Officer (OCT) positions. The successful candidates will act as the commandant’s representatives in the cadet Barracks during evening and late-night hours.
Specific Responsibilities of the OCTs include:
- Ensuring the safety, well-being, and security of cadets and the VMI Barracks during evening and late-night hours, serving as “first-responders” to any emergencies or incidents which may occur
- Supervising the Cadet guard team in the maintenance of proper order and discipline
- Ensuring cadets comply with VMI regulations and directives
- Conducting routine in-ranks inspections and inspections of cadet rooms
- Tactical officer responsibilities include advising and mentoring cadets assigned to one of ten companies throughout the academic year
- Other duties as assigned
These are full-time positions, and the wear of a military uniform is required. Anticipated duty hours for two of the positions are from 4:00PM to midnight. Anticipated duty hours for the other two positions are from 11:00PM – 7:00AM.
Minimum Competencies (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Demonstrated leadership experience with previous military experience a plus
- Experience working with young adults in a structured environment is preferred
- Experience working in residence life in higher education is preferred
- Ability to meet department and institute goals
- Ability to communicate inclusively with all members of the VMI community
- Excellent communication skills
- Requires independent judgment, discretion, and diplomacy
Candidates apply on-line at: Officer-in-Charge/Tactical Officer- Job Applications
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
This is a full-time administrative position with a full benefits package. A Criminal Background Check is required for all selected candidates.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.