Digital Content Specialist
Posted Monday, September 12, 2022
The Digital Content Specialist is responsible for ensuring all public-facing VMI digital experiences align with and support the Institute’s mission, vision, values, brand, reputation, and strategic goals. Reporting to the Web Manager, the Digital Content Specialist will work with VMI offices and departments to conceptualize, write, edit, and produce written content for the Institute’s web site and other digital platforms. Specifically, the Digital Content Specialist will work closely with the marketing team to ensure content is engaging and consistent across all Institute digital platforms for the respective audiences, with particular emphasis on admissions and recruitment:
- Build collaborative relationships throughout VMI that lead to the development of content packages that build brand awareness, convey the VMI story in an engaging way, and attract top-tier cadets and faculty members;
- Meet with the marketing and web design team members to ideate and define content and branding goals;
- Monitor, gather, edit, and update new and existing online content for accuracy, clarity, consistency, grammar, style guidelines, and strategic messaging;
- Monitor the Institute’s web edit request inbox and assist with text and document edits and publishing as directed, adhering to best practices and ADA compliance;
- Maintain public web calendar, including image editing and creation;
- Assist with the publishing of digital content within the Institute’s digital recruiting platform, InsideVMI, social media, and other digital tools focused on recruitment and the admissions process;
- Research content and audience trends to ensure content developed is relevant and appealing to reach all targeted audiences;
- Assist with proofreading and editing content prior to publishing;
- Track audience and content analytics, generating reports and presentations using Google Analytics;
- Support the larger digital communications of VMI through projects and initiatives as determined by the marketing team.
The ideal candidate should be flexible, positive, efficient, and able to work independently. Excellent interpersonal skills are a must, as this position requires interacting with other staff and faculty throughout the Institute, as well as cadets, alumni, and others.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience writing, editing and organizing web and/or digital communications projects.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs.
- Knowledge of content management systems and website architecture.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to write with clarity and style in a variety of formats, including informational web content, marketing copy, and social media posts.
- Knowledge of photograph editing/graphic design software and visual best practices for the web.
- Experience working in higher education institutions.
- Knowledge working with search engine optimization.
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations, and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
For the online application system – Supplemental Questions:
- Submit two writing samples, no more than one page each, of digital content prepared in a previous job or course.
- Select an existing news article from vmi.edu/news/ and compose a social media post, summary bullet point, and flyer-style text to cover the highlights.
Candidates can apply at: Digital Content Specialist- Job Application
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.