Major Gift Officer
Posted Tuesday, May 16, 2023
The Major Gift Officer will proactively and strategically manage a portfolio of approximately 75-100 prospects and generate a high level of activity and contact, formulate gift strategies for these individuals, and write plans directed at achieving outright commitments of $25,000 or more. In addition, he or she will work closely with volunteers, board members, and other academic leaders in the identification, cultivation, and soliciting of major gifts. The Major Gift Officer reports to the Chief Development Officer. After several months of hands-on training, this position will work remotely.
After several months of hands-on training, this position will work remotely.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop and implement cultivation, solicitation, and engagement strategies that include building, managing, and soliciting a portfolio of major gift prospects;
- Personally solicits assigned donor portfolios through face-to-face visits, including preparation of personalized materials. Proactively identifies, develops, and delivers engagement opportunities to donors to ensure the maximization of their financial
- Accountable for meeting or exceeding established annual fundraising goals and metrics;
- Manages a budget ensuring that expenditures are in compliance and expense reports are prepared and submitted as needed;
- Works with prospects to educate them on Virginia Military Institute’s priorities and soliciting and closing outright and planned gifts;
- Effectively manages major gift prospects through personal visits, correspondence, and electronic and telephone communication;
- Meets or exceeds metrics related to portfolio, visits, asks, and documentation, as collaboratively set by Chief Development Officer
- Becomes immersed in the key strategies and initiatives of the Virginia Military Institute
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in fundraising with nonprofit organizations, including major gift fundraising
- Willingness to travel regionally
- Must adhere to the highest ethical standards
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through, as demonstrated through effective project management experience
- Superior writing and public speaking skills
- Ability to work effectively within a complex institution; knowledge to quickly learn the culture, language, and hierarchical structure of VMI
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Proficiency in the use of computer work-related software programs; strong functional skill in web-based research applications
- Knowledge and experience with Blackbaud products is a plus
This is a full-time position with a generous benefits package, retirement plan, and a competitive starting annual salary based on qualifications and experience.
The VMI Alumni Agencies inform, engage, and inspire VMI alumni, family, and friends to support the Institute. Founded in 1839, Virginia Military Institute is the nation's oldest state-supported military college. Consistently ranked among the top public liberal arts colleges in the nation by both U.S. News and World Report and Money magazine, VMI offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in 14 majors. It is the mission of VMI to prepare honorable and dedicated leaders ready for the challenges of 21st-century citizenship. VMI adjoins the campus of Washington and Lee University, the nation's ninth-oldest institution of higher learning. Both colleges are within walking distance to historic downtown Lexington, a popular tourist destination. The town of Lexington has approximately 7,000 residents.
For more information about the VMI Alumni Agencies, please visit our website at vmiaa.org.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to: email@example.com with the subject line: “Major Gift Officer.” Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability.
Cheryl A. Cathcart, Director of Human Resources, VMI Alumni Agencies