Director of the Miller Academic Center
Posted Tuesday, August 15, 2023
VMI is accepting applications for the position of Director of the Miller Academic Center.
With renewed institutional commitment reflected in strategic planning, the Miller Academic Center provides academic support programs at all academic levels, from at-risk students to high achievers, with an overall mission of facilitating cadets’ academic success and timely progress toward degree completion. The Center coordinates course-specific study group sessions, need-specific learning skills programs, and academic advising. The Center also administers Disabilities Services.
The Director will provide overall leadership and management of the Miller Academic Center’s personnel, including three full-time academic support coordinators, the coordinator of Academic Advising, and an administrative assistant. One exciting aspect of the position is the opportunity to develop meaningful partnerships between the Miller Academic Center and the Writing Center, the Math Resource Center, Athletic Advising, the Regimental Staff, and the academic departments.
- Significant experience in student affairs or academic affairs in higher education.
- Experience conducting and utilizing learning assessments to promote and support academic success.
- Experience with pro-active, innovative student-retention strategies.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills.
- Superior communication (oral, written and listening) and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as necessary to fulfill the mission and duties of the office.
- Education: Master’s degree.
- Experience developing and administering programming for at-risk students, including Pell Grant recipients.
- Experience teaching and/or advising in a four-year college setting.
- A record of engagement in scholarship and professional activities related to learning services.
- Experience working with faculty in diverse disciplines to promote academic success.
- Education: Ph.D. or Ed.D.
This is a full-time on-site 12-month Administrative and Professional Faculty position reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The salary is competitive, commensurate with experience. VMI offers an attractive benefits package, including health and dental insurance and retirement options.
Located in Lexington (pop. 7000), in the southern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, VMI is a public, four–year, undergraduate military college offering leading academic programs in the liberal arts, engineering, and the sciences. The Institute enrolls approximately 1,700 students, about half of whom accept commissions as officers in the armed forces upon graduation. Faculty members wear uniforms and adhere to military customs, but military experience is neither required nor expected for employment.
Candidates must apply online at: Director of the Miller Academic Center- Job Application
In addition to the online application please include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Start date is flexible.
A criminal background check is required for the final candidate.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.