Executive Officer to the Superintendent
Posted Monday, September 11, 2023
The Virginia Military Institute is pleased to announce an exciting administrative/professional opportunity as Executive Officer (XO) to the Superintendent. Reporting to the VMI Superintendent, this position requires an experienced administrator with a strong background in senior executive/flag officer support and a professional who possesses an executive presence. This role is responsible for gathering and synthesizing complex, sensitive information to aid strategic decision-making. The XO position will serve at the staff officer level of the Institute.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assembles information and prepares summaries and special reports on issues and matters of interest to the Superintendent to facilitate executive decision-making and meet the intent of the Superintendent’s strategic priorities.
- Reviews, analyzes, and summarizes correspondence, reports and other materials.
- Coordinates information and presentation materials for the bi-monthly Command and Staff briefings to the Superintendent.
- Drafts timely correspondence in reply to internal and external stakeholder communications including that from parents, alumni, faculty/staff, politicians, and cadets.
- Serves as the Superintendent’s liaison for all Cadet disciplinary actions with the Commandant’s Office and with the Superintendent’s Representatives to the Honor Court on Honor Court related issues.
- Facilitates communications with alumni agencies and state offices/agencies, as directed by the Superintendent.
- Oversees and executes the process for selection of various Institute awards including VMI Hall of Fame inductions.
- Ensures smooth operations of the Superintendent’s Headquarters by facilitating approval of staff timesheets, procurement actions, office and travel purchasing cards.
- Coordinates the Superintendent’s office budget with his administrative assistant.
- Incumbent should expect to work some evening and weekend hours.
- Other projects as assigned by the Superintendent.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Seven years of extensive experience in a middle to senior leadership management/military officer position (0-4 and above) providing high-level support to executive staff or flag officers in a setting with similar job responsibilities.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with ability to communicate effectively with all levels of institute leadership, senior staff, Cadets, and other outside groups.
- Exceptional analytical skills with experience creating reports, presentations, business correspondence, and administrative historical filing and proven ability to independently manage multiple tasks with competing priorities and deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- High level of emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.
- Graduate (MBA, MS, MA, etc.) or terminal (e.g., EdD, PhD, DBA, etc.) degree in business, higher education administration, public policy, law, or related field.
- Prior military service or management-level experience in State or federal government.
- Experience as an administrator/supervisor in higher education.
- Military Senior Service College graduate.
- Experience supporting senior level military command.
VMI graduates are highly encouraged to apply.
In addition to a resume, please include a cover letter with details regarding your experience as it relates to the key responsibilities of the job. Please provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
Salary range is $120-$130,000 and includes a competitive benefits package. The anticipated start date is 1 November 2023. Position will remain open until filled.
Candidates can apply at: Executive Officer (XO) to the Superintendent- Job Application
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, VMI alum, other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply.