Director of the Regimental Band
Posted Monday, September 18, 2023
VMI is accepting applications for the full-time position of Director of the Regimental Band. Reporting to the Commandant, this position is responsible for all aspects of the 150-piece college Military Band and Pipe Band.
Specific Responsibilities of the Band Director:
- Recruits and auditions matriculating cadets for participation in the Regimental Band.
- Conducts and supervises the musical training and marching techniques of all Band members.
- Selects and purchases appropriate music for use in Institute parades and ceremonies.
- Oversees the selection, maintenance, and usage of instruments.
- Provides assistance in matters regarding music copyrights and royalties.
- Plans and coordinates two to three Band trips per academic year to promote and encourage visibility for the Corps of Cadets, the Institute, and Regimental Band.
- Manages the Band’s annual budget.
- Develops and promotes the Regimental Band to the highest possible degree of excellence in appearance, performance, quality of musicianship, and professionalism.
- Plans, rehearses, maintains, and coordinates the activities of small ensembles including the Jazz Band, Drum Ensemble, and Institute Brass Quintet.
- Supervises the Pipe Band Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Knowledge of overall operation of an instrumental music program.
- Ability to manage a budget and personnel.
- Ability to implement policy and procedures.
- Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to instruct cadets using a variety of technological applications and platforms.
- Earned Master’s Degree.
- Minimum of six years assigned to a Military Band.
- Service in the armed forces.
- Three to five years of experience in higher education.
This is a full-time, annually contracted position with a generous benefits package. The incumbent will wear a military uniform and observe military customs and courtesies. Start date will be approximately 15 April 2024.
Candidates, please apply online at: Director of the Regimental Band- Job Application
Please include a letter of interest, resume and contact information for three professional references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.