Reunion Event Coordinator
Posted Friday, November 17, 2023
The Reunion Event Coordinator, reporting to the Director of Advancement Services, works with alumni volunteer reunion committees along with events and fundraising colleagues to provide planning and oversight for the annual calendar of scheduled reunion events, with a goal of enhancing the class reunion experience and alumni engagement ultimately increasing financial support to VMI and the Corps of Cadets for years to come.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with volunteers to direct all aspects of class reunions, including, but not limited to coordination of event venues, budgeting, favor items, hotel blocks, transportation, email/text message communication, website updates, pre-event and day of registration and programming, support materials, catering, and meeting with class representatives
- Direct the planning for reunion weekends and activities, including presence during events to ensure accurate execution
- Communicate with reunion committees regularly according to the reunion activities planning schedule for each reunion class and reunion solicitations
- Effectively and professionally communicate with entire alumni population both via email and phone
- Provide periodic registration updates to reunion chairs and appropriate stakeholders
- Approve invoices and reimbursements for the reunions to ensure alignment with class budget
- Provide periodic event financial updates to the reunion committee chairs
- Provide leadership and guidance to Assistant Reunion Event Coordinator
- Weekend work with reunions and other events will be required throughout the year. Advanced notice of these specific weekends will be available to you with plenty of notice.
- Other events and duties as directed by the Director of Advancement Services
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, planning, and ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to work independently while taking initiative to oversee multiple projects and manage competing priorities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Word and Excel) and Raiser’s Edge/NXT
Education and Experience
- Four-year degree preferred or applicable work experience in events, higher education or similar
- Experience with volunteer or personnel management
This is a full-time position with a generous benefits package, retirement plan and a competitive starting annual salary based on qualifications and experience.
The VMI Alumni Agencies inform, engage, and inspire VMI alumni, family, and friends to support the Institute. Founded in 1839, Virginia Military Institute is the nation's oldest state-supported military college. Consistently ranked among the top public liberal arts colleges in the nation by both U.S. News and World Report and Money magazine, VMI offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in 14 majors. It is the mission of VMI to prepare honorable and dedicated leaders ready for the challenges of 21st-century citizenship. VMI adjoins the campus of Washington and Lee University, the nation's ninth-oldest institution of higher learning. Both colleges are within walking distance to historic downtown Lexington, a popular tourist destination. The town of Lexington has approximately 7,000 residents.
For more information about the VMI Alumni Agencies, please visit our website at http://www.vmiaa.org.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to: email@example.com with the subject line: "Reunion Event Coordinator.” Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability.
Cheryl A. Cathcart, Director of Human Resources, VMI Alumni Agencies