Information current as of July 6, 2020
The VMI Pandemic Task Force and Institute leadership continue to monitor the latest information regarding the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19). Based on the analysis of the current COVID-19 situation, changes to operations, events, and protocols may occur throughout the school year. Increased cleaning and sanitizing protocols have been implemented across all aspects of cadet life, and leadership has identified key areas for social distancing enforcement to maintain safety throughout the course of physical training and activities required of all cadets.
This website will be updated as new information is available. Cadets are encouraged to be signed up for emergency alerts through the VMI Mass Notification System to receive a phone call and text with emergency information. Visit the site to sign up. For questions or more information, contact email@example.com
Additional, audience-specific pages have been added to streamline access to pertinent information regarding Spring and Summer semesters. The items can be accessed using the page's sub-menu or by visiting: For Cadets, For Employees, For the Community, or Frequently Asked Questions. Additional information is available regarding plans and protocols for the upcoming year on the Fall 2020 webpage.
|Date of Positive Test Reported||Classification of Patient|
|July 2, 2020||Faculty/Staff|
|May 5, 2020||Contractor|
The CDC website (www.cdc.gov/COVID19) and the Virginia Department of Health website contain all current recommendations for preventing and seeking help with coronavirus.
We also take this opportunity to remind our community of some important information regarding COVID-19. In an effort to slow the spread of the virus, we are requesting your immediate attention to and compliance with the following recommended practices – not only to ensure your own well-being, but the well-being of others:
- Engage in social distancing. Maintain 6 feet of distance from others.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wear a mask when in public.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Monitor temperature for a fever above 100.4 degrees F.
Those who develop a cough, fever, and difficulty breathing, should call their primary care provider or nearest hospital for further instructions. Most health care providers are recommending that anyone who has symptoms of coronavirus call for instructions prior to showing up in person. VMI Human Resources has information on counseling options available to support those experiencing anxiety or other mental health concerns through the Employee Assistance Program.
Questions regarding this case or VMI’s COVID-19 efforts should be directed to Col. Bill Wyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Operational Status Updates and Cancellations
- On-Post classes are cancelled. All classes have been moved to a distance learning environment for Spring and Summer semesters. Cadets will not report to post during this time.
- All public events on Post are cancelled until further notice.
- All Post buildings will be locked until further notice. Employees may use their VMI IDs to access their offices. Availability of spaces in many Post buildings will be reduced to accommodate for available staffing and to reduce maintenance.
VMI cancellations, including events for Alumni Agencies, our museums, VMI athletics, and the Center for Leadership and Ethics will be shared here.
VMI Facility Status
|Cocke Hall||CLOSED for fitness activities|
|Cormack Hall||CLOSED for fitness activities|
|Corps Physical Training Facility||CLOSED for fitness activities|
|George C. Marshall Museum||CLOSED until further notice|
|Preston Library||CLOSED until further notice|
|VMI On-Post Museums||CLOSED until further notice|
|Virginia Museum of the Civil War||UPDATE: The Virginia Museum of the Civil War and New Market Battlefield State Historical Park is open to the public Monday through Friday and closed Saturday and Sunday.|
|Stonewall Jackson House||UPDATE: The Stonewall Jackson House Museum Store, Orientation Exhibits and Garden are open free of charge Thursday through Monday, 9-5. Tours of the house will not resume before mid-September, 2020.|
VMI Event Cancellations & Status Updates
VMI thanks you for your patience and understanding as decisions are made and as we continue to operate as an educational institution. Previous post-wide notices can be found on our Previous Communications page.