Appointments and general MAC services:
The Center will work with cadets through email and video conferences using our current scheduling system, which supports synchronous online appointments and meetings. Phone conferences are also an option.
Peer Academic Support:
Facilitators and academic coaches will use https://vmi.mywconline.net to track and respond to questions. We are planning to continue offering weekly study sessions either synchronously or asynchronously based on cadet needs and their available equipment. Professional online tutoring is available 24/7 for many subjects at https://www.nettutor.com/vmiNT.
Additional types of support as needed:
The MAC will monitor as best we can what is happening with cadets in this new learning environment and offer additional resources to include virtual workshops, consultations, and coaching as needed.
The Writing Center will continue working with cadets via WCOnline. Cadets can schedule an appointment for an eTutorial or, in some cases, online real-time consultation by following the instructions for uploading drafts and receiving feedback from a Writing Center consultant. All online services continue to adhere to the VMI Honor Code and Work-for-Grade policies.
Before distance learning begins, the MERC website will be updated with the schedule of our tutors along with their email addresses. Cadets who want to schedule a tutorial will visit the website, see who is available at what times, and contact the tutor via email. Once the tutor receives an email request, he or she will invite the cadet to a meeting through the Zoom app under our Teams account. The app will generate an email with a link the cadet can use to join the meeting with the tutor.
The Registrar’s Office will continue to provide current support services for transcripts, verifications, investigator checks, and internal forms/records updates. Due to the Post shut down, there will be no walk-in services; however, all requests for information or processing can be directed to individual staff members, or to email@example.com, and we will get back to inquiries as soon as possible.
Per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, all external requests for personally identifiable information regarding a cadet must be made in writing and be accompanied by the appropriate authorization via fax (540-464-7726), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or mailed Virginia Military Institute, c/o Registrar’s Office, 303 Shell Hall, Lexington, VA 22939.
Transcript requests may be made online at: https://www.vmi.edu/academics/support/registrar/transcripts-and-records/transcripts/. Please allow three days for processing paper transcripts.
Career Services support is available by phone, email, and remote appointments.
Cadets and Alumni: Make an appointment by calling us at 540-464-7560. All appointments will be virtual, using phone or video (Zoom, Google Hangouts, or social media apps).
Employers: While we won’t be able to accommodate employer visits for now, we are happy to assist with job and internship postings and virtual interviews through Handshake.
We are available via email at email@example.com and/or by phone at 540-464-7560.
The Office of International Programs will continue normal operation hours. Any VMI cadet (international or otherwise) or member of the faculty who has questions about immigration issues or study abroad can reach staff through customary means.
Colonel Dave Hall: firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-464-7350 (o), 910-650-0651 (c)
Mrs. Patricia Hardin, email@example.com, 540-464-7421 (o), 540-460-4875 (c)
All Library Distance Learning services info/updates can be found at this one location. https://libguides.vmi.edu/distancelearning
- Electronic Resources: All of the Library's e-collections (ebooks, streaming video, and journal, magazine, and newspaper content in our databases) are available off-Post via remote login. We have extensive electronic resources available across all disciplines.
- Individual Research/Reference consultations and help: Librarians can work with faculty and cadets via email, over the phone, and employ Skype, Zoom, and/or Google Hangouts for synchronous live sessions with desktop sharing.
- Canvas platform support: LTC Kocevar-Weidinger is providing individual or group support for use of Canvas. Assistance can be requested by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Formal Research/Library Instruction: If faculty want formal library instruction for cadets, librarians can offer this in Canvas.
- Course Reserves: We have an established Course Reserves site with which faculty and cadets are already familiar; course reserves include many electronic materials. For reserve items unavailable electronically, staff will prioritize working with affected faculty to digitize where possible, or to find an electronically available alternative.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): Interlibrary loan services have been disrupted throughout Virginia and the country, with ILL departments now focused on supporting distance learning. We will no longer request physical items through ILL since these requests cannot be fulfilled. We will focus on delivery of resources electronically where possible.
Document Scanning on Mobile Devices
- ScanBot (can link directly to Canvas) - Android | iOS
- CamScanner - Android | iOS
- Fast Scanner - Android | iOS
Show your VMI pride, and feel like you are back on Post, by downloading one or multiple VMI images to use for your virtual background. Each background image has been sized to meet Zoom standards. Simply follow the below instructions to start using your VMI virtual background:
- Download the VMI image(s) you wish to use.
- In a Zoom meeting, click the upward arrow, next to the Stop Video icon.
- Select Choose Virtual Background.
- Click the + icon in the top right corner to select your previously downloaded VMI image.
- Check the Mirror my video box.
If the Mirror my video box is not displayed:
- Go back to the upward arrow, next to the Stop Video icon.
- Select Video Settings...
- Check the box for Mirror my video there.
How to set a VMI virtual background in Zoom Guide: Zoom Background Instructions (PDF)
Visit Zoom Help Center – Virtual Background for backdrop tips and more for your virtual background.