Information current as of July 6, 2020
The information contained on this page pertains to Spring and Summer semesters for 2020. Information regarding the upcoming semester can be found on the Fall 2020 webpage.
- Online Canvas training is available through the VMI Library.
- Additional documents for Microsoft Team and other applications will be posted on the VMI Portal.
- The Help Desk hours are now back to regular hours of Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- A limited number of laptop loaners are available from Information Technology. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-464-7643 for more information.
- Information Technology has procured a limited number of web cameras for faculty to use during this period of online instruction. Contact email@example.com or 540-464-7643 for more information.
- Presently, all faculty have access to Post facilities for the purpose of providing online instruction. Personal offices will be accessible, however, variations in the availability of spaces will be reduced to accommodate available staffing and to reduce maintenance.
- Some instructional spaces will not be accessible. Faculty who wish to utilize a classroom for online instruction may be asked to use a space other than their normal classroom. Please coordinate space requests through your respective department head’s office.
- Any instruction delivered via video where the instructor is visible will be conducted in the proper VMI uniform in accordance with General Order 80.
- All Institute-related international travel is cancelled.
- In accordance with the governor’s executive order, any Institute-related travel outside of the Commonwealth of Virginia is cancelled. Only essential travel within Virginia may be considered. The appropriate IPC member, in consultation with the requestor, will make a final determination if such travel is essential.
- All Post facilities are closed to the public. No visitors, family members, guests, or cadets who are not authorized to reside in barracks during this period of online instruction will be permitted on VMI or in the Stonewall Jackson House, New Market Battlefield, barracks, or Lejeune Hall.
- Those unaffiliated with the Institute may drive through Post or walk on designated outside walkways maintaining social distance. Unaffiliated individuals are requested not to loiter or congregate on Post.
- Preston Library is closed to the public as well as VMI employees who are not members of the Library’s staff. All electronic resources will continue to be available. Employees who wish to request interlibrary loan materials will need to use https://illiad.vmi.edu/. Interlibrary loan will continue to request all electronic format items. Directions/guidance for all learning support and services is given here: https://libguides.vmi.edu/distancelearning.
- All Post buildings will be locked until further notice. Employees may use their VMI IDs to access their offices. Availability of spaces in many Post buildings will be reduced to accommodate for available staffing and to reduce maintenance.
Despite the best efforts of our program directors, the continuing spread of the coronavirus, coupled with state and federal constraints and restraints necessitates the cancellation of all summer study abroad programs. To provide an alternative for those cadets needing or desiring the credit hours associated with their study abroad program, program directors have agreed to provide the following related courses as part of VMI’s summer session course offerings. These courses will be available based on cadet interest and undersubscribed courses (<7) will be cancelled. NOTE: These courses are available to all VMI cadets, not just those whose study abroad programs were cancelled.
- French Language & Culture in Paris – Summer Session II
- FR-316: Topics in French: French Grammar in Context - Pre-requisite: FR-202.
- FR-335: Intermediate French Conversation: French Culture through Film - Co-requisite summer session II: FR-316. Pre-requisite: One 300-level French course or instructor permission.
- Not available
- Engineering in Berlin – Summer Session II
- ME 302: Dynamics - Prerequisite(s): ME 201.
- ME 350X: History of Technology - Civilizations & Cultures (X) that would replace the German Engineering X course that cannot be taught on Post.
- Not available
- Biosecurity Lessons from Famine & Plague in Ireland – Summer Session II
- BI-245X: Epidemics & Society - Prerequisite(s): No prerequisites. Civilizations and Cultures (X).
- Available in an online format.
Project Global Officer (PGO) Update:
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020, the Defense Language and National Security Education Office (DLNSEO) suspended all overseas language programs for summer 2020. DLNSEO also requested all PGO institutions to consider a domestic program in place of their overseas program. VMI will be offering PGO online based on current scholarship winner level of interest.
FFCRA: Employee Paid Leave Rights - The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act) requires certain employers to provide employees with paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The Department of Labor’s (Department) Wage and Hour Division (WHD) administers and enforces the new law’s paid leave requirements. These provisions will apply from the effective date through December 31, 2020.