Operational Update - 04 February 2021
Dear cadets, faculty, staff, and parents:
Over the past three days, VMI has experienced a spike in positive COVID-19 cases among the Corps of Cadets. Fortunately, the positive cadet cases have either been asymptomatic or have only shown mild symptoms resulting in no hospitalizations. I am grateful to our medical professionals, the commandant’s staff, and all those who continue to care for our cadets.
I have met with staff coordinating our COVID-19 efforts and, based on advice from our medical team and local public health professionals, I am ordering the following measures to mitigate the continued spread of the virus:
- Suspension of march downs.
- Suspension of visitation within barracks.
- Strict enforcement of 10-foot separation during physical training.
- Closing of post to all visitors.
- 14-day quarantine for those that the medical team has identified as having close contact with an individual who has tested positive.
- Classrooms, which have been optimized for COVID protocols, shall not be reconfigured.
- Where possible, administrative staff will telework.
We will likely see positive cases continue to increase until these mitigation efforts have their intended effect. In the meantime, these efforts will require strict enforcement from VMI staff, faculty, and cadet leaders.
As I’ve said since my appointment in November, the health and well-being of the Corps, faculty, and staff is my primary concern. Our goal is to provide the Corps of Cadets with a VMI experience that is as normal as possible. This is but a small bump in the road. I have every confidence that the Corps, with our dedicated faculty and staff, will make the necessary adjustments to be able to finish the semester strong.
Maj. Gen. Cedric T. Wins '85
U.S. Army (Retired)