Honors in Mechanical Engineering
- Overall 3.00 quality point average in all classes (through the end of his/her 2nd class year).
- Overall 3.25 quality point average in all Mechanical Engineering classes (through the end of his/her 2nd class year).
- 3.00 quality point average in all classes at graduation.
- 3.25 quality point average in all Mechanical Engineering classes at graduation.
Application and Administrative Procedures
- Inform, in writing, the Department Head of their intention to participate in the Honors Program before the end of the cadet's second class year.
- Register for 2 semesters of the Independent Study sequence (ME 461-ME 462).
- Find a faculty adviser who is willing to supervise their Independent Study.
- Have the subject of their independent study approved by the Departmental Honors Committee prior to the beginning of the Independent Study sequence. The Departmental Honors Committee will appoint a faculty Thesis Committee consisting of three faculty members including the adviser.
- Write an honors thesis. A typed draft of this thesis will be submitted to their Thesis Committee no later than five days before the beginning of the final examination period.
- Present the results of their independent study to the Thesis Committee and any interested faculty no later than the second day of the final examination period, and receive the endorsement of a majority of the faculty present for the presentation.
- Present the results of their independent study at an undergraduate (VMI Undergraduate Research Symposium, National Undergraduate Research Conference, MARCUS, etc.), regional, national, or international conference.
- Submit the final version of their thesis to the Thesis Committee before the end of the final examination period.