Physics probes fundamental questions and also serves as a source of key innovations in high technology. At VMI a dedicated faculty train and work with talented students to explore exciting areas of physics and astronomy like…
- Lasers and Fiber Optics
- Laser Spectroscopy
- Observational Astronomy
- Thin Films and Nanotechnology
- Molecular Spectroscopy
- Nuclear Physics
A bachelor’s degree in physics is the gateway to a wide variety of technical careers as well as graduate and professional school opportunities.
- Technical careers in the military, nuclear energy, medical physics, and other areas
- Careers in secondary education (teaching high school physics)
- Graduate study in physics, astrophysics, nuclear engineering, and other related disciplines
- Professional school in medicine and law
Degrees and Programs
Degree(s): Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The physics curriculum is a flexible curriculum that provides an excellent opportunity for the development of intellectual breadth while also building strong scientific and technical skills.
Our degree programs offer a generous complement of electives, allowing cadets to obtain one or more minors or even to double major in selected cases. We also offer minors in both physics and astronomy for cadets interested in complementing their major with significant training in physics and astronomy.