The VMI Cyber Defense Laboratory will host its first CyberSmart workshop for high school students June 7-11 in Marshall Hall on the VMI post. Hours will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day.
This week-long workshop is offered at no cost to students and is sponsored in part by the Department of Defense. Each day will include team-based, hands-on projects, intriguing demonstrations and instruction, and mentoring from VMI Cyber Captains. Students will acquire knowledge of cybersecurity attacks and defense, develop skills to detect, identify, and mitigate attacks, and demonstrate the ability to analyze problems and build solutions.
The workshop will also have visitors from the government and local industry to share information about careers and college degrees in cybersecurity. Students will leave the program with a certificate of completion, as well as opportunities to be involved with future VMI Cyber Defense Lab events and projects. Light snacks and lunch will be provided each day. Students do not need to bring their own computers or other devices, as laptops will be provided.
SPONSORED IN PART BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
- Week-long Cybersecurity Workshop for High School Students grades 9-12
- Acquire knowledge of cybersecurity attacks and defense
- Develop skills to detect, identify, and mitigate attacks
- Demonstrate ability to analyze problems and build solutions
- Offered at no cost
- Gift for each participant
- FREE lunch and afternoon snack
- Mentoring by experts
- Optional extended projects
- CyDef Certificate of Completion
Email Chelsea Bendick at email@example.com