Career Services assists cadets with career planning, career experiences, and employment or graduate education opportunities leading to successful transitions following graduation.
VMI Office of Career Services is here to help and support you during these exceptional times.
In accordance with VMI policy, we are making adjustments to our services and programming. We are changing our service delivery to help you virtually through phone, email, chat, and remote appointments!
Cadets and Alumni: You can make an appointment by calling us at 540-464-7560. All appointments will be virtual, using phone or video (Zoom, Google Hangouts, or social media apps).
Join us on Microsoft Teams for Wednesday Virtual Office Hours from 1100-1300 hrs. Please email us at email@example.com for more information.
Employers: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. While we won’t be able to accommodate employer visits for now, we are happy to assist with job and internship postings and virtual interview through Handshake.
The Post might be closed, but we are still here to help! Email us at email@example.com and/or call 540-464-7560
COVID-19 Career Support and Resources
Along with virtual appointments, here are some other resources that you may find beneficial:
Handshake is still one of the best tools to assist with your job and internship search. Sign-in using your VMI credentials and set-up your profile. You can explore employers, jobs, internships, and virtual events, all in one place. Just make sure that your profile is complete: employers are more likely to reach out to cadets with a complete profile.
You can find 500 companies hiring students on Handshake here, with the list being updated weekly.
Career Services has begun hosting a series of webinars centered around networking and job hunting in this time of economic uncertainty and increased reliance on digital tools. Cadets are invited to call in and participate each week, and highlights of these events will be posted for anyone who was not able to attend.
Job Search, Virtual Interviews, and Networking
At this time, most interviews and networking events are being held virtually. These resources will help you navigate how to network and interview online, as well as tips on how to update your job search:
- Interviewing Guide: From the VMI Office of Career Services, this resource provides tips and steps to take to best prepare for an upcoming interview.
- What does the Coronavirus pandemic mean for your job search?: In this article, The Muse provides six job search tips such as digital networking and skills training opportunities.
- Coronavirus Resources: COVID-19 career resources from VAULT career information center.
- 9 Tips for Mastering Your Next Virtual Interview: Harvard Business School gives tips on how to prepare for your virtual interviews.
- How Will Coronavirus Affect Your Job Search in 2020?: This post from VAULT gives an overview of how the coronavirus may affect your job search and some suggestions how how to change your job search strategies.
- Coronavirus And Your Career: How To Effectively Network During A Quarantine: Forbes gives recommendations on how to virtually build and maintain your network.
- 20 Video Interview Tips: The Muse offers 20 suggestions on how to prepare for your Google Hangout, Skype, or Zoom interviews.
- 11 Tips for Video Interview Success: VAULT has 11 tips on how to communicate your value during virtual interviews.
- How to Job Hunt During the Coronavirus Pandemic: Five suggestions from Fortune on how to job search during the pandemic.