We appreciate your willingness to help cadets achieve their career goals, and welcome opportunities to work with you in this effort. This is organized to provide information regarding the Office of Career Services and ways we can support you.
Did you know that:
- Recruiters are willing to talk to specific classes, at the request of the professor. Recruiters like to meet with faculty when they are recruiting on Post. Lunch is often the best time and Career Services will cover those expenses.
- Many organizations welcome on-site visits from teaching faculty to discuss careers. Many cadets seek career advice from professors before they utilize Career Services. The majority of our referrals are from faculty.
- Many organizations now are using their internships as vehicles from which to hire most of their entry-level employees.
- Corporations establish ties with academic departments at selected colleges and universities for the purpose of identifying prospective interns and employees.
- Alumni in your field are excellent resources for internships and full-time positions for current cadets.
VMI faculty members play an important role in the employment process for new graduates. Usually, your role and that of the Office of Career Services are complementary. To protect you from liability and reduce risk assessment for VMI, you should review existing guidelines for employment practices.
A good guide to understanding legal and ethical issues for faculty can be found in the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Faculty Guide to Ethical and Legal Standards in Student Hiring. Here you can find issues representative of most colleges across the nation, including VMI. A few key examples of legal and ethical concerns for VMI faculty are:
- Not publicizing employment and internship opportunities to all qualified cadets
- Working with employers and their diversity objectives in the hiring process
- Confidentiality when serving as a reference for cadets
If you have questions about Ethical / Legal implications of career services, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone: 540-464-7560.