WELCOME CLASS OF 2027 NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
The NROTC Department conducts a Welcome Aboard Brief and New Student Orientation the day prior to VMI’s matriculation event every year. This time is meant for both students and family members to receive important information with regards to the NROTC Unit and for the students to complete all necessary paperwork for activation of their scholarships.
Who: All Incoming NROTC Scholarship Students and Parents/Guardians
What: Program Brief, Document Signing, and Scholarship Activation (Oath of Office)
When: 0900 Friday, August 18, 2023
Where: Kilbourne Hall, Room 2089
Uniform for Incoming Midshipmen: Appropriate Civilian Attire
A complete Schedule of Events for this event is available.
Under the age of 18: You will need at least one parent present to sign the scholarship contract.
Not physically qualified: Those students not physically qualified by DODMERB will not be allowed to sign paperwork and activate your scholarship on 18 August. When you do become medically qualified, you will be allowed to take the Physical Readiness Test, and upon passing you will activate your scholarship.
Completed NSI, but did not pass PFT: Those students who completed NSI but failed to pass the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) at NSI, will not be allowed to sign paperwork and activate your scholarship on 18 August. You will be provided an opportunity after classes begin to retake the PFT. Once you have passed, you will be eligible to activate your scholarship.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHOLARSHIP ACTIVATION
- Must complete New Student Indoctrination (NSI) at Naval Station Great Lakes the summer prior to your first semester at VMI.
- Must pass the Physical Fitness Test
- Must be found DODMERB (Medically) Qualified or be granted a waiver by DODMERB. (If you have not begun your DODMERB Physical, please do so immediately.)
- ALL documents and items listed on the Bring Checklist.
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION PAPERWORK
The following paperwork needs to be completed prior to arriving for the Welcome Aboard Brief and New Student Orientation. You will turn in these documents listed below when you arrive at Kilbourne Hall and are checked in.
- Bring Checklist
- Original Birth Certificates – A copy will be made, and the originals returned prior to your departure. (Notarized copies are not acceptable)
- Note to foreign born students: If you were born in another country and your U.S. Citizenship was granted after your birth due to adoption or naturalization, you will need to bring all naturalization, citizenship, and/or adoption paperwork with you for us to copy. This should include any translated birth records as well. We must have this documentation before we can activate your scholarship. Please call a member of our staff listed below for any questions.OPMIS/Personal Record/History Info
- Original Social Security Card – The card will be collected, copied, and the originals returned prior to your departure.
- Original COVID Vaccination Record – The record will be collected, copied, and the originals returned prior to your departure. (Not Mandatory if not Vaccinated)
- DD Form 1199A - Direct Deposit Form - Use the bank account and routing number for the student. Your bank does not have to complete anything on this form. Please ensure you use your actual account number at the bank and not your debit card number.
- OPMIS/Personal Record/History Info
- NROTC Scholarship Benefit Election Form - You need to decide with your parents what is going to be the best option for your family.
- Copy of Immunization Record
- Annual Certificate of Physical Condition– This form will be filled out every year and keeps your physical qualification current. Please read each question thoroughly and answer truthfully. You will have the opportunity to explain all “Yes” answers at the end of the document. If you have not had a DoD Physical, please either select “Private Sector” (Navy) or write “N/A” (Marine) in the first part of Section II. If you have not had a PFA/PRT, please write “N/A” in the applicable boxes. Please print out the document and sign (location indicated with a star in Section III). This is not valid without a signature. Navy and Marine Corps have separate documents. Please fill out the applicable document. You do not need to fill out both. They are labeled accordingly.
- Sea Bag – Ensure you bring all uniforms and equipment issued at NSI. You will have a place in barracks to store it. You will need these items within the first week or two for an inspection.
The documents listed below will be ready for the student’s signature during scholarship activation. The forms below are provided for informational purposes only and DO NOT need to be printed out. We will have everything printed out and prefilled prior to your arrival.
- Concept of Honor
- Acceptance and Oath of Office
- NROTC Scholarship Service Agreement
- Navy obligation is five years active service for four years of NROTC tuition
- Marine obligation is four years active service for four years of NROTC tuition
- NROTC Entitlement Statement
- NROTC Obligation Statement
- Accession Extremism Screening Questionnaire
- Elective Surgery Acknowledgement
- Enlistment Armed Forces of the United States (DD FORM 4)
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Statement of Understanding
- Emergency Data NAVPERS 1070/602 – Make sure you have your parent’s cell phone numbers available during contract activation. You will need them.
- SGLV-8286 SGLI Life Insurance
- Privacy Act Statement- Health Care Records
You will receive an email to start working on your SF-86 (E-QIP) Security Clearance Application over the summer. We ask that you begin work on it as soon as you get it so that you can have it completed and submitted to us before you get here. Once you get to VMI, your time will be limited, and you will not be able to complete it in a timely manner. It is best to do it with your parents prior to arriving here. We will get you fingerprinted after classes begin in September.
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION STAFF CONTACT INFORMATION
HRA - Mr. Rick D. Schemehorn – 540-464-7277 – email@example.com
HRA - Mrs. Lori A. Ballard – 540-464-7982 – firstname.lastname@example.org
HRA Medical – Mrs. Kellie J Funk – 540-464-7983 – email@example.com
Note: Many of the forms on this website are property of the Department of Defense, the U.S. Navy, and other federal or private entities. Should you need assistance completing any of these or accessibility accommodations, please contact a member of staff listed above.