Cadets will need an ID (driver's license, passport, etc.) and insurance information.
Packing and Clothing
Please check back for the latest edition of the Cadet Handbook which will be published at a later date.
New cadets will be issued athletic uniforms at matriculation.
Clothing recommendations are based on having to change clothes two or three times a day during the August heat.
Do not cut your hair to VMI standards prior to matriculation; VMI will take care of your first cadet haircut. You may donate your hair if it is at least 8 inches long to Locks of Love or other similar charities. Inform the barber if you want to donate your hair.
Prohibited items that will be confiscated:
- Weapons of any type
- Knives of any type
- Electrical equipment and appliances (including microwave ovens, hot pots, heating elements, etc.)
- Plants and pets
- Flammable materials including candles, fireworks, incense, etc.
- TVs, or any other type of entertainment media
- Alcohol, illegal drugs or associated paraphernalia
Prohibited until after Breakout:
- Cell phones
- Electric razors
- Radios (to include alarm clock radios)
- DVDs, CDs, computer games
- iPods or similar devices and MP3 players
- Computer speakers
- Transition lenses in eyeglasses
- Clothing with emblems/logos, to include socks, underwear, T-shirts, linens, and towels